auto steering rotation

i do not find the option for auto steering rotation like in ams 1. must always quit game and alter the rotation in my wheel software when i change cars in game.
is this option not in game yet or am i missing something?

AMS 2 uses "soft lock", which means you define the maximum degrees of rotation for your wheel, and then they game will set a limit based on the real lock of each car you drive. To do this is creates a force which is supposed to resist further movement when the wheel reaches the vehicles lock. However, on many wheels (like my T300) this force is so weak that you can barely feel it when stationary, let alone while driving.

If you are happy to use the Custom FFB option, you can edit the file to get the lock working properly. In My Documents/Automobilista 2, open ffb_custom_settings.txt, and near the bottom find this section:
Code:
#lock_stops
(stops (bumpstop output 0.05 0.5 0.05 0.1))
(output (+ output (* stops custom_lock_stop)))

Replace it with the following:
Code:
#lock_stops
(steering_pos ( if output 1.0 -1.0))
(stops (bumpstop steering_pos 0.1 2.0 0.1 1.0))
(output (+ output (* stops device_lock_stop)))

Start the game and make sure to select the "Custom" FFB profile. Jump in a car with a small lock like an open-wheeler, and you should now feel a much stronger force (the maximum for your wheel) when you reach the steering lock.

AMS 2 uses "soft lock", which means you define the maximum degrees of rotation for your wheel, and then they game will set a limit based on the real lock of each car you drive. To do this is creates a force which is supposed to resist further movement when the wheel reaches the vehicles lock. However, on many wheels (like my T300) this force is so weak that you can barely feel it when stationary, let alone while driving.

If you are happy to use the Custom FFB option, you can edit the file to get the lock working properly. In My Documents/Automobilista 2, open ffb_custom_settings.txt, and near the bottom find this section:
Code:
#lock_stops
(stops (bumpstop output 0.05 0.5 0.05 0.1))
(output (+ output (* stops custom_lock_stop)))

Replace it with the following:
Code:
#lock_stops
(steering_pos ( if output 1.0 -1.0))
(stops (bumpstop steering_pos 0.1 2.0 0.1 1.0))
(output (+ output (* stops device_lock_stop)))

Start the game and make sure to select the "Custom" FFB profile. Jump in a car with a small lock like an open-wheeler, and you should now feel a much stronger force (the maximum for your wheel) when you reach the steering lock.

thanks a lot, that was the trick!!:)

by the way, do you know what is the difference between the default and the custom settings ingame?

by the way, do you know what is the difference between the default and the custom settings ingame?
The ffb_custom_settings.txt file is generated by the game based on the "New Default" profile. So, if you make no changes to that file, then the FFB will be 100% identical. By changing the soft lock settings, essentially you're just adding a better soft lock to the New Default profile. :)

The file also lets you tinker with other settings, the simpler ones being:

(min_force 0.01) - Minimum FFB force applied. Doesn't work exactly like other sims and may introduce "jerking" sensations.

(scrub_vibe 1.0) - The level of tyre scrub vibration.

(engine_scale 0.1) - The level of engine vibrations.

Which reminds me... delete ffb_custom_settings before making any changes, start the game, then exit again. This ensures you have the latest FFB. (If you haven't deleted your My Docs AMS folder since EA release, you may still have the old FFB version in the custom file.)

Last edited:
The ffb_custom_settings.txt file is generated by the game based on the "New Default" profile. So, if you make no changes to that file, then the FFB will be 100% identical. By changing the soft lock settings, essentially you're just adding a better soft lock to the New Default profile. :)

The file also lets you tinker with other settings, the simpler ones being:

(min_force 0.01) - Minimum FFB force applied. Doesn't work exactly like other sims and may introduce "jerking" sensations.

(scrub_vibe 1.0) - The level of tyre scrub vibration.

(engine_scale 0.1) - The level of engine vibrations.

Which reminds me... delete ffb_custom_settings before making any changes, start the game, then exit again. This ensures you have the latest FFB. (If you haven't deleted your My Docs AMS folder since EA release, you may still have the old FFB version in the custom file.)

Thx mate works perfect on my T300s finally I have a hard stop.

Auto rotation and bump stops are automatically available with Fanatec wheels in the normal default FFB profiles. I would assume by release time they will be implemented automatically for all but some very exotic hardware. There shouldn't be any need to fiddle with txt files or use custom profiles.

I would assume by release time they will be implemented automatically for all but some very exotic hardware.
Technically speaking, they already are implemented for all wheels. If you watch the FFB monitor you can see the force being created, it's just too weak to feel. It actually responds to the LFB slider, it's that low! All it needs is a big boost in the force level, which is essentially what this tweak does.

I have no doubt Reiza will fix it, but this'll do in the meantime. I find that having a proper stop at max lock really helps when driving.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 127 27.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 108 23.7%
  • CPU

Votes: 55 12.1%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 83 18.2%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 51 11.2%