Are people still interested in custom careers or, more accurately a platform for custom careers?

Hello,

I recently started playing Assetto Corza Evolution by Alex Mail (a Gran Turismo style career for AC) and I am having a great time, I highly recommend people try it, especially since you only need to subscribe for one month to play the current version "forever" (you only need a current paying subscription for updates).

Still, there are some aspects of that career mod I do not like. Some will probably be fixed over time (bugs like the fact that I can't figure out what cars are needed for some races like the FF challenge and the FF filter in the dealership displays the MR cars instead of the FF cars) but also some poor quality tracks, poor quality cars, and car/track combos or series I don't like... I don't expect these things to get fixed any time soon, if at all. The mod is also a bit too "simcade" for my taste where the only way to really progress is to win races. That and the lack of damage management lead to a behaviour where winning is more important than safety and clean driving.

So I had a look and I am going to create my own career generator/mod. I could go quick and dirty but, if people are interested, I could also create something a bit more polished and easy to use and make it available.
The idea is quite similar to Alex's idea (or Racing Life for AMS2, or Gran Turismo or Forza, so I am not exactly stealing the idea here): you select a championship, buy a suitable car (either new or second hand, more on that later), and as you get points by completing races/championships (points based on your performance so you don't always have to win every race which I think is more realistic and more suitable for AC), you get more money and unlock more powerful cars and more advanced championships.
But then things become quite different:
  1. Damage management. This would be a feature for later but I am planning to develop a Python AC app which will track damage to the car being used. At the end of the race, you need to spend money repairing the car if it was damaged. If you don't, performance will be impacted (I need to look into that later, either adding some ballast or simply bumping up difficulty to simulate a performance difference when the car is damaged or as mileage increases) or you could even be unable to use that car until it is repaired if you damage it too much so a game over becomes possible if all your cars are destroyed and you don't have any money left to repair them. A "race insurance" system would be rather easy to implement, making sure you don't get bankrupted when the AI pushes you and your hypercar into a wall. That and the fact you don't have to win the race to progress would make the experience more realistic and less "simcade".
  2. An interface to add custom tags to cars/tracks (probably a web interface at first but if people show interest, I might switch to a desktop app so it is more convenient). You tag a bunch of cars and tracks you have as, let's say, DTM_Apatride, and they are then used to automatically generate DTM championships. An import/export functionality would allow people to share championships or entire careers (I would create a few based on AC official content so people don't have to customise content manually if they don't want to). This means that unless you import other people's championships, the game will generate championships and a career based on content you have and the series you are interested in (if you don't like F1, simply don't tag any of your content as "F1_Apatride", if you don't want bad quality cars/tracks, simply don't tag them).
  3. An interface (again, probably web at the start) to "buy" cars (new or second hand), select the championships available to your level, keep track of the money you earn while racing, keep track of your level/progress and what cars/series become available as you level up... And launch the selected race automatically as well as keeping track of your results and the state of your car(s).
Outside of (maybe) damage management, I think most of the functionalities could potentially be used for AMS2 as well in the future. Worst case scenario, manual entry of results would work, just like Racing Life is doing.
I understand AC is an old game but it remains very popular (and this "mod" could probably be ported to AC2 when the game gets released) but I am less sure if there is an interest in a proper career mode (something that has been missing from the game from the start so people might be happy to finally get a good one or might have given up on career mode completely).
Is this something you could be interested in?

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 128 27.6%
  • Full game

Votes: 110 23.8%
  • CPU

Votes: 58 12.5%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 84 18.1%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 52 11.2%