Any sequential gearbox cars intended to require blip on downshift?

In AMS 1 I believe we had “semi-auto” and “full auto” for the gearbox descriptions. As things currently stand in AMS 2 EA, we seem to only have “H-pattern” and “sequential” for gearbox descriptions. It seems likely to me that all the H-pattern cars are probably intended to require a blip on downshifts. Again, I’m referring to what’s likely intended, not what you can actually get away with.

But how about all the sequential gearbox cars? There’s a big variety in sophistication among them and it seems like there could be some variability there. Which of the cars with sequential gearboxes do you think are intended to require blipping the throttle on downshifts?

The only car which I could find evidence for (maybe) is the Super V8. A 2019 pedal cam video of Cam Waters shows full heel and toe on downshifts even though he doesn’t use the clutch or lift on upshifts. A 2010 pedal cam video of Greg Murphy also shows no lift on upshifts and blipping on downshifts, but he doesn’t use the clutch on downshifts.

To repeat, I’m referring to sequential gearbox cars which you think may be intended to require the downshift blip.

I have also thought about this, old GT1 cars have such a setup, from the possibilities I've looked at. My guess is that some rule prevents Supercar car manufacturers from programming a throttle blip in the ECU during downshit, and in GT1 the computational technology was not advanced enough to bother combining sequential shifters with automatic throttle blip. But it's just my random guess, we'll need to look after this later. GT1 example:

I have also thought about this, old GT1 cars have such a setup, from the possibilities I've looked at. My guess is that some rule prevents Supercar car manufacturers from programming a throttle blip in the ECU during downshit, and in GT1 the computational technology was not advanced enough to bother combining sequential shifters with automatic throttle blip. But it's just my random guess, we'll need to look after this later. GT1 example:

I don't see any blipping in the Ferrari. It's a no-lift-to-shift up sequential that either requires clutch on downshift or more likely it is just smoother/safer with the use of clutch on down shifts since you are typically heavily braking at the same time. I suspect you could shift down without clutch with some reasonable rev matching, but that's not suitable at too many corners at Spa with that car.

I am confident that AMS 2 will simulate all this stuff eventually, but the drive train model is not the same as AMS--better in some ways; missing some things in other ways. The SuperV8 is the great example--as you note maybe it was some sort of regulation that prevented full electronics (because they certainly existed). I believe some of the older transmissions had an option for controlled up or down shifts (flat shifting on the way up with manual blipping on the way down, or, lift-to-shift on the way up, but electronic rev matching on the way down)--but you couldn't have both at the same time!?!

All these intricacies will not be in place for v1.0, but will come over time as fast as Reiza can get to them. In the meantime, some sequential cars are definitely rougher than others...there is not a single/common sequential programming being utilized.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.2%
  • Full game

Votes: 177 25.4%
  • CPU

Votes: 83 11.9%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.5%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 78 11.2%