AC And now for something completely different!

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

HF2000

Thou shall not pass!!!
Club Staff
Premium
A retrospective as a RD staff member!

I saw that it has been a year since I organized my first race for RaceDepartment. So a good moment to look back.
I started racing online 3 years ago. The first year the events were mainly organized by Craig Dunkley. The GT3s mostly on Sundays and other variants on some other days. Unfortunately Craig had an accident and we haven't seen him since:(. @Chris Down then went on to do the GT3s and @Denis Betty and @Medilloni John Power other events such as BTCC and Classic cars. At the beginning of 2020 Denis (for AC that is) and John stopped organizing and we only had the GT3 with Chris left.
@Interslice Brian Walsh and I thought it was a shame that we didn't have another race in the midweek and together we decided to join the RaceDepartment staff to organize the events during the week. Brian was supposed to do Group C and other classes on Tuesdays and I saw my chance to implement an idea I'd been toying with for some time on Wednesday. When Chris retired, I first took over the GT3s but when Brian became a father and Tuesday didn't suit him anymore, he took over the Sunday sessions and I started hosting some different types of events on Tuesday.

Now for that idea that was playing in my head. During the first years that I participated, I saw many newcomers who often dropped out after one or two times.
My idea was that the events that we did, such as the GT3 and the classic cars, were often experienced as a deception for them because they could not be really competitive as a newcomer.
So I wanted to make it easier for them to get in and that's how Wednesday's multiclass was born with cars that have few setup options, are relatively easy to drive and allow you to focus on learning the basics of racing. These events could then be a stepping stone to, for example, the GT3 class where, because of the multiclass principle, you also learn to deal with overtaking and being overtaken.
I added to that to usually race on the same track as the GT3 the following Sunday so that the participants only have to learn the track once.

I can now say that the multiclass is successful, firstly because of the usually well-filled grid, but also because I have seen many beginners who are still there almost every Wednesday to this day and there are also some who participate with the GT3s and other events.
And as far as I can judge, everyone has also become a lot faster and more consistent (or I have become slower myself :notworthy: ).

To start with @Allan Ramsbottom , the Drift King as I call him in myself. Certainly not a beginner, but someone I previously only saw every now and then at classic car events and saw doing things with cars there that I never thought possible. He now seems to be very dedicated to the MX5 and is competing in the top in the classic cars championships.
@a_murel Andre Murel has become his buddy and invariably has great fights with him. And I see Andre more and more at other events.
@Fiberoptix Tim Simons is in my opinion the one who has made the most progress of all participants. In the beginning I could keep up with him, but now he has joined the group of aliens where I think he will soon put the fire to Chris's shins.

And then of course Chris 'please be careful in turn 1' Down himself. Known to everyone in his Union Jack McLaren and his 'Cheers!' when he puts you on a lap again. I really like that he has now started participating in the other events as well, although that reduces my chance of a podium quite a bit.
@JamKart22 Colin Jones is another competitor who has gotten a lot faster especially lately. He is also a very neat driver that I really like to have around.
Someone who is perhaps the most respectful of other drivers is @Shed 17 Paul Fairweather. Paul participates in many events and is rarely involved in an incident that he could do something about. So also someone I'm happy to have on the grid.
I see @Douglas Aird Douglas Aird as a Scottish version of Paul. Also always well aware of other drivers in his immediate environment and a welcome guest on the track.

So are @Taj Johal Tajinder Johal, @Dzul Raul Martinez, @Casper de Wit, @Partick Eaton Pat Eaton and @maxilogan Omar Filippini. You are also neat drivers who slowly get faster and faster and have a lot of fun fighting each other. You prove that you don't have to compete for the prizes to have fun racing!
@FabianoRL Fabiano de Lima, @garyb 76 Gary Blumhagen, @beginer Chris Gonzalez and @davejevons David Jevons also fit perfectly in that list, often found in the back but continuing to learn and become more consistent every time. The connection to the midfield will certainly come!

@Programmer_Rich Richard Barratt and @Alfred Wayne Robert Hopkins have certainly found that already and are now podium candidates. I think Richard is the most consistent driver who has already won races without setting the fastest lap times while Robert does the opposite. He needs to bring in the consistency a little more, but his speed is good.

And then of course @stigs2cousin Carsten 'happy hunting' Meyer who I can call my favorite German. I always look forward to his posts in the threads to see what hilarious comments and now will be in again. And his Audi warnings are legendary and have cost me a few tenths of a lap of laughter several times:roflmao:.
I haven't mentioned everyone here who has competed in the latest events because I especially wanted to mention the people who have been faithfully participating in my races for a longer period of time.

That is why I can only end this long speech with the waffle king himself: @Kek700 Ernie Wright. I think I have to look really hard for an event of mine that Ernie didn't participate in. He is always there and annoyingly enough also (almost) always faster than me. I don't want to know how many rounds I've had to look at the back of his car, but that's always better than having him in your mirror all the time.
I have great respect for Ernie who at his age and the handicap of almost no feeling in his leg is so good that he regularly wins events and also holds his own in the difficult classic cars. Although I've seen real photos of him in the "Introduce yourself" thread, I can't help but picture him with a huge diastema because of all those photos of Terry Thomas that he always puts in his posts that make me laugh so hard:roflmao:.

I would like to end my retrospective by also looking ahead. I've spent a lot of time in the past year figuring out, testing, organizing and hosting the events. Due to the obligation to work from home from COVID, I also had some extra time to spare because I had no commute. I have really enjoyed it because of your participation and reactions in Discord and the threads. I will continue with the multiclass for the time being and besides that I have some ideas. In any case, I want to do another @Fat-Alfie championship (hopefully with the Battenbergring) because I love those tracks so much myself. I would also like something related to Formula 1 and because there are also a number of participants who love classic cars I will pay attention to that on Tuesday as well as events with street cars and the occasionally fun events.

Finally, I would like to thank every participant for the past year for a lot of racing fun :thumbsup: !
See you on track!

EDIT:
Someone reminded me that I should also thank some other guys.
So thanks to @Enzo Fazzi for introducing sim racing by giving me an RD premium account for a year and selling me his old G27. And of course also because he is only too happy to let me know what I am doing wrong in my racing:(:notworthy:.

Thanks to @Neilski Neil Conway for helping out with S.GP and AC stuff and learning how to configure the AVON servers.

Also thanks to @Bram Hengeveld for allowing me to join the RD staff so that I could start organizing events.

Finally, thanks to @Interslice Brian Walsh for being my co-organizer and for helping me think about new events and championships.

Last edited:
Here, here! A big CHEERS to you Han for your heartful commitment to the fun of our community, week after week!
It's because of all your efforts (and Brian's and Chris') that many of us started here, stuck around and are happy to keep coming to fill up our beloved Multiclass grid and try the other whacky events you put together from time to time. :laugh: You have brought together a band of misfits that have become a true, fantastic community. To that I say, salud señor! :coffee: Mil gracias, and see you at the next race!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great summary Han and I can echo what others have said, you and Brian do a brilliant job.

I started racing here exactly a year ago in the BMW 320 in the BTCC event at Brands Hatch. I had done several public server races in AC and Raceroom before joining this club but got frustrated being taken out by less than respectful driving standards. I admit to being absolutely bricking it in my first race but well happy to finish 8th out of 14th. I still remember having Ernie in my mirror for several laps before I crumbled under the pressure!
With 92 races ( finishing in all of them) 2 wins and 16 podiums I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the races here and the respect we give each other. As Han has pointed out, I am conscious of other drivers and try to avoid causing incidents at the expense of gaining that extra position, but have had my moments in the early days.:rolleyes:

In recent weeks I seem to have been struggling for pace, particularly in mid race. Now maybe the standard and pace of others has improved but this is something I am trying to work on. But the overriding thing for me is to have fun and enjoy it. Wednesday race was a good example. I decided to give the Mazda a go, was woefully off the pace but still had fun with Raul and likewise in previous races with Taj in the Classic F1, Robert, Richard and Colin in the Audi’s.

Racing week in and week out with a regular bunch gives you confidence to know who and where you can race side by side with, and the relaxed atmosphere and friendly competition is exactly what I come here for.

So many thanks guys for making it a year to remember and here’s to many more.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great summary, Han.

It's been about a year for me, too, when I started my first proper go with online races with (mostly) strangers - even though I have been a member of RD since 2009! Previous racing has been mostly hotlapping, ai races and the occasional online race on private servers with friends in small grids.

I started with Bram's Audi TT rookie races in 2021 and, after a few months, found your multiclass races. Due to my Audi experience I started with those but quickly realised that the Mazda was a lot of fun and a great platform for learning and getting quicker. Along the way my friends Raul and Andre both returned to the scene after a similarly long gap and we "met" Dave and Allan through the races - along with a lot of the regulars and other newcomers to the Wednesday races.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the racing which is almost invariably fair and friendly. I am getting quicker and trying to get myself out of the mid pack and towards the front. Currently I am trying to add some consistency back into my driving after a number of off tracks and fight back races.

Thanks, Han, for your organisation and stewardship - looking forward to many more races here.

Thankyou for the nice comments Han @HF2000. Came across your article by accident.:)

6B43DB61-4820-4625-877D-2233FCCD33C7.jpeg

Fantastic write up Han..
Firstly,a group is only as good as the person in charge imo,i,ve said it in the past how Han has pulled out some great combos to make this what it is..Also, it has attracted many racers old and more importantley new 1,s into the fold..I,ve raced in the past with Ernie,Chris,Enzo,Han,Dennis,John,and there still here:thumbsup: so that in itself speaks volumes..
As the club has progressed i,ve made some new pals,tried helping best i can and seen some well made improvements in me and others..My nemisis :D as i fondly call him @a_murel pushes me to points where i think i cant do anymore,then get a couple of tenths,and im pretty sure i do the same for him. @Douglas Aird @Dzul,thanks for letting me join your little club,its been great and we have a blast when time permits..
@Interslice,
Now i,ve only raced a couple of times with him, but i know he also does an awesome job on a Sun night...................................................so..im going to give the GT3/4,s a go..Way out of my comfort zone,but having tried the Ginetta,i quickly came up to speed,and soon going DD base i will have a better feel so watch out lol..
Once again Han thanks for a great job that you do,hope to see you all on track...Stay Safe....

I only joined you all in the "last quarter" of your thoughtful write up @HF2000 Han :) so I'll leave it to others to speak more on the last year, but in these last couple months I don't think there was a race I came away from where I didn't have fun (and learn something that made me faster for the next one) thanks in large part to the organizing & moderation by you and @Interslice Brian and the respectful race craft by the rest of the field :thumbsup: (special shout out to @Shed 17 Paul for "working with me" ;) to create some incredibly close finishes recently).

Thanks all for making it very easy for this beginner to just jump in and go. Both on track and here in the forum :geek: . I look forward to all the future battles in all the cars and tracks Han hasn't chosen yet :cool: (minus his penchant for slippery starts :p )

See you all at the next finish line :)

Last edited:
In recent weeks I seem to have been struggling for pace, particularly in mid race. Now maybe the standard and pace of others has improved but this is something I am trying to work on.
It's strange, but this also happens to me sometimes: a few races where I seem to have lost my pace. Quite recently the week before last week where I even skipped the Laguna Seca race with the Ginetta. But then a miracle happens and I (with good luck) won three times in a row.

I don't know what it is, a mental dip or something like that maybe. But now I have the experience of it coming back and like you said I focus on having fun when the pace isn't there.

Hello Han and everybody. Also for me, I started (I don't even remember how I found RD club races, even though I had read many articles on RD previously) with the Sunday GT3 races but soon found out that I wasn't on par with the participants.
In addition, due to our family habits and duties, Sunday evening is most probably the worst moment in week for me to be busy with something other than family itself.
I then searched for opportunities to have races during the week and found the events that @Interslice Brian was organizing events in the middle of the week with the Mazdas. Why not to try, then? It soon became clear that, despite being less powerful, those little cars were as funny as the GT3 while at the same time being more forgiving and more suited to improve my very basic racing skills, as you can't simply rely on hard braking and brutal horsepowers. Kyalami was my first track and it was great fun.

Soon the Wednesday appointment became the more important one and I left GT3s for the Mazdas. I appreciated a lot how @HF2000 Han always tried to make our experience varied and enjoyable with different tracks, introducing the multiclass, etc. so really cheers to everyone here for both hosting and participating in such funny and educational events. I got to meet (though virtually only) a lot of great people and drivers. Even if I'm still a backmarker I hope I can continue to make progress and learn through time, really grateful for having met all of you!

It's strange, but this also happens to me sometimes: a few races where I seem to have lost my pace. Quite recently the week before last week where I even skipped the Laguna Seca race with the Ginetta. But then a miracle happens and I (with good luck) won three times in a row.

I don't know what it is, a mental dip or something like that maybe. But now I have the experience of it coming back and like you said I focus on having fun when the pace isn't there.
I won’t be expecting to win three in row anytime soon ( more chance of winning euromillions lottery) :roflmao::roflmao: but that won’t stop me having fun!:D:thumbsup:

I echo the sentiments of everyone else Han. I started here when Chris was running GT3 and remember being very intimidated in the early races. I think the nice friendly accepting nature of this club kept me trying despite feeling like a hindrance to the rest of the grid. That is testament to you Chris and Brian around how you run this club, it attracts a like minded attitude of clean racing and friendly conduct and such is the group it has attracted and held. I wish I could do more of your mid week races but sadly work limits me now we are somewhat back to normal again here.

Latest News

Back