Affordable starter wheel?

I started with KB, then gamepad, then $89 Logitech MOMO that lasted for years!

Eventually, I moved up to a $250? G27 + playseat that lasted at least 10 years.

I just brought my G27 out of 6? years storage & I'm installing & modding my fav games & learning all-over how to set up FFB and race again.

I have a buddy who would like to get a wheel but IDK what the current market looks like, so any advice would be appreciated.

He says his budget is $100 (will not buy used / ebay).

He's used my G27 & I showed him the G29 / G920 but they're $270~300

I don't think there is a worthy new wheel at $100 or less. I'm sure there's something, but it won't work very well or very long. Like "force feedback" is just a bungie cord inside it as a centering force - not good. Even used, your friend might need some luck to get something decent at that price.

And remember, a wheel is just the starting point. A wheel is pretty useless without pedals and maybe a shifter.

Realistically, your friend might need to start with a hand-held game-pad controller. That at least is affordable and sufficient.

Last edited:
Last edited:
And remember, a wheel is just the starting point. A wheel is pretty useless without pedals and maybe a shifter.

I never thought a wheel would come w/ out pedals!
My Logitech MOMO & G27 were package deals.
MOMO had wheel & pedals with a little knob shifter on the clamp base
G27 came with the separate H-shifter

We sat together & looked at Amazon & filtered price and there are a lot of options, but some are obviously junk & I didn't want to read / research if there was a modern version of the MOMO from another MFG because we wanted him to get some RACE time!

Honestly, since he's used my G27 in a playseat w/ shifter mount, he will be disappointed with anything he buys & tell me I beat him because I have a better wheel!

THX for the feedback...

To be honest before I'd drive any racing sim with a "Bungee Cord" system instead of force feedback, I'd rather drive with mouse steering.
The mouse simply translates 1:1 the steering movement and you drive via visuals only.

A bungee cord wheel will auto-center at a constant resistance even when you're losing the car.
This gives zero clue about what the car is doing and also screws with the visual impression at the same time.
It's really only nice for games without any ffb that can be driven fine with keyboard controls.
Even NFS: Underground 2 had some basic ffb I could enjoy with my very old plastic Thrustmaster wheel.

The cheapest FFB wheel would be the Thrustmaster T-150 afaik.
But for real: convince him to buy a used Logitech DFGT. A friend of mine got one for 70€ and very happily raced Dirt Rally 1&2, WRC 8-10, Wreckfest and some other stuff.
It's even better for this than the G25/27/29 since it has a way smaller deadzone!

Latest News

Back